Monday, March 1, 2010

style idol: nancy drew

Did you know that Nancy Drew turns 80 this year? Well, that's not quite right. She's actually 98. Or she would be, were she not eternally 18.  If you know me at all in real life, you know how rabid a Nancy Drew fan I am.  I read my way through the library shelves growing up, and have since begun to amass my own collection of the iconic yellow-spined books (to say nothing of my collection of the video games).

Nancy has always inspired me.  Her fearlessness, determination, resourcefulness, and ability to shake off head injuries which would have left me laid up for days made an impression on little me, and have stayed with me ever since.  One of the things I loved best reading the books were the illustrations (I have two of them framed on my wall).  As the books adapted to the changing times, so too did Nancy and the stylish clothing the illustrations always conveyed.  To celebrate Nancy, I am doing a little series of posts to honor her keen sense of style through the years.

I'll be doing four posts, each one covering a style era depicted in the illustrations of the editions I read: the 1930s, the 1950s, the 1970s, and the 1990s.  If I'm not sick of fashion after those, I might do a modern day Nancy, too!  The first post, 1930s Nancy, will go up later today.  I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I've enjoyed making them!

Cover found here.  For more information of the classic Nancy Drew series, click here.
Browse full series: 1930s-1950s-1970s-1990s-Now

No comments: