Friday, March 13, 2009

elephant house end table

The piece of the week this week is not only late (midterms, sorry!), it is also truly odd. And awesome. It comes to you courtesy of Elephant House: Or, The Home of Edward Gorey by Kevin McDermott. As I've mentioned before, I'm kind of a big Edward Gorey fan. So when I spotted this book, it immediately went on my mental list of I MUST HAVE EET. I put it off, but a recent tax return convinced me to splurge a bit. It came in the mail this week and I read it immediately.I found so very much to love in Gorey's home (from the collection of finials to the hidden room to the 25,000 books), but this table took the cake. I'm sure you're thinking that it resembles something other than a table, yes? Well, when Gorey first moved into the house in Yarmouth, MA, he discovered an upstairs toilet with a decidedly pachedermal shape. He got rid of the bathroom, but couldn't part with the toilet, so, naturally, he turned it into an end table. It is also most likely the thing which gave the house its name, Elephant House.

Hope your week was amazing and the weekend even more so!

ps: be sure to pipe up if you've been the Cape May!

No comments: