Friday, January 9, 2009

resolute: update

grand dame
This is my piano. She doesn't have a name (that I know of), as she just turned 80 on January 4th and I've always felt it would be presumptuous for me to give her a name. She's a classy old dame, and that's the truth. She doesn't have all of her original parts (she's had some cosmetic surgery, but you didn't hear it from me), and she falls out of tune faster than she did even a decade ago, but she's still got quite a voice.

Today, in an effort to start as I mean to go on, I decided to sing a little. I started off shaky and nearly got discouraged, but decided to push through. It felt so good to sing again! I started off with You Don't Know this Man from Jason Robert Brown's Parade, then moved on to I Had Myself a True Love from St. Louis Woman. They're both songs I love which I heard first from Audra, so it was like eating comfort food.

Then I ended with the gospel classic Deep River, which has always been a favourite, and William Arms Fisher's arrangement of Sigh No More, Ladies, which is from Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, but isn't the version they sing in the film. I couldn't find a recording of the Fisher, but here's Marian Anderson singing Deep River. She'll give you goosebumps!


I was hoping to join my old church choir, but it turns out I have class the same time as they rehearse. So until I find a different choir (and I would like to find a choir, I love singing choral works), it'll just be the old lady and me. I think we'll be ok.

No comments: