Thursday, June 5, 2008

something wicked

away from the storm

There have been some terrific thunderstorms in my life lately, which is usually a thrill. I love thunderstorms! I'm feeling a bit plagued by them now, however. Yesterday, I knew a storm was predicted, but when it swept in, it caught us all by surprise. It had been beautiful all day, then suddenly the sky went dark, the wind whipped up, and I ran to close the windows on my car. The power had blinked on and off several times before the rain even started, and we lost it entirely just as I was closing the garage door to the wind and rain. All of this happened in maybe a handful of minutes, around 2 pm.

A tree falls on a home in Falls Church, inside which a couple were, ironically, watching the Weather Channel.

We didn't get power back until about noon today. Playing trivial pursuit by candlelight was fun, but having to throw out a ton of food was not.

The Washington Post has an article about the storms with some good photos, although they dwell a little bit too much on the one death caused by the weather for my taste. Seriously, check out the map (above), where the death is clearly marked. As if a fatality makes the storms more significant in some way, rather than just sadder.

Anyway, I've returned to the internet world after a brief absence. Unlike some, I did not have a car battery to hook a broadband connector up to (points for creativity, though).

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Is it bad that I laughed when I read that the couple was watching the Weather Channel?

Kelly Anne said...

Haha, no, I laughed too.