Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Herbed Almost-Egg White Omelet

This is part of a new series I'm calling "Kelly is Poor and Can't Cook."
Historically, I have not been a big eater of breakfast.  Which is sad, as breakfast foods are about my favourite across the board.  However, if there's one thing an early-morning walk does, it's awaken a hunger for breakfast.  At first, I relied on fruit smoothies after each walk, as I discovered that I had conditioned myself to want them after years of rewarding myself with a smoothie after every college workout.  Of late, however, I have been going with the tried-and-true method of digging through the fridge until inspiration strikes.  Yesterday, it struck in the form of a turkey sausage English muffin sandwich.  Today, I noticed the spinach.
I'm not a huge fan of eggs (I tend to get creeped out by their runniness--it's dumb, I know), but egg whites were a whole different kettle of fish  (not really.  There are no fish in this recipe).  I called this an almost egg white omelet because it was the first dish I've made using only egg whites rather than yolks, and some yolky bits made it in.  Anyways, here's my recipe, slightly adapted from the original.  I say "adapted" because it sounds fancy, but what it really means in "I added more cheese.")

Herbed Egg White Omelet
  • 3 egg whites 
  • 1 tablespoon skim milk 
  • 1/2 tsp Penzey's Sunny Paris Seasoning
  • 3/4 cup chopped fresh baby spinach 
  • 1 tablespoon shredded sharp cheddar
  • 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
Combine eggs, milk, and herbs in a bowl.  Spray a non-stick pan with cooking spray, then put it over low-medium heat.  Add spinach.  Once the spinach starts to wilt (this happens pretty quickly), pour the egg mixture over it.  As the edges set, use a spatula to lift them and tip the pan to allow remaining liquid underneath.  Honestly, I didn't need to do much of that.  My eggs pretty much stayed where I poured them.  When everything's set, sprinkle cheese on top and fold in half (or thirds, as I did).
All in all, I was pleased with my very first omelet.  The recipe called for any type of mixed herbs, but I liked this with the Sunny Paris, which has shallots, chives, green peppercorns, dill weed, basil, tarragon, chervil, and bay leaf in it.  If you have a specialty herb store anywhere near you, you should check and see if they carry Penzey's.  Good stuff.  I wish we'd had green onions in the house, or I would have added them to the omelet, too.  Ah, well.

Overall, it was a light but filling meal.

end note: You might have noticed there are photos in this post, after I whined about not having a camera.  Well that is because I stole my mother's for this.  You might also notice that none of the photos are in color.  That is because my mother's camera produces the worst color I have ever seen.  On the up side, however, while rummaging for the upload cord, I found my camera's charger.  Yay!

No comments: