Wednesday, February 3, 2010

curiosities

Maybe it was seeing Sherlock Holmes four times, or perhaps the influence of visiting The Pink Palace, but I've had cabinets of curiosity on the brain lately, specifically bell jars.  All of a sudden, I can't get enough of them.
I love the idea that they're protecting something precious, but also enjoy the traditional use with flora and fauna (I'm not big on taxidermy, but don't mind fake animals--how wonderful is that little bird?).  I can definitely see myself filling a room with bell jars, big and small.  If only I had the room.  Coming by bell jars on the cheap is not terribly easy, although ebay has a fairly large selection.  You also see them in high-end garden shops (anthro has one that's designed to be a terrarium).
photo credits (from top: James Merrell (1 & 2), AT, AT, d*s, dsbrennan

2 comments:

Unknown said...

*swoon* I love all things "specimen-y" and I'm so excited that they seem to be an up and coming thing in decor.

Thanks for including my 'Curiosities' photograph!

Kelly Anne said...

You're welcome! It's a fantastic photograph. Thanks for stopping by!