Thursday, April 28, 2011

jersey shore gone wilde

I am posting this on the off-chance that you haven't yet seen or heard about it--two actors in the cast of The Importance of Being Earnest performing excerpts from Jersey Shore transcripts as if Oscar Wilde had written them.  It is, in short, absolutely brilliant.
Aside from the sheer hilarity of it, I discovered something interesting while watching these with a couple of friends last night.  My companions had both seen a fair amount of Jersey Shore, but were unfamiliar with Wilde.  Their reactions (in addition to manic laughter) were generally on how the British accent made certain quotes sound more or less ridiculous than the Jersey accent.  I was coming at it from the perspective of someone who has seen and read a great deal of Wilde but had never seen an episode of Jersey Shore, and my reaction was nearly always "Holy hell, that actually sounds like something Wilde would write."  Which my companions found extremely difficult to believe ("Seriously?  Oscar Wilde?  I thought he was, like, stuffier." and, pointing to the image of him on the video "THAT guy??").  I suggested they both check out some of this plays.

There are four videos in addition to this one.  Check them out here: second, third, fourth, fifth.

No comments: