Monday, March 15, 2010

real estate

Now that the ball's rolling on my VISTA gig, I spend a fair amount of time looking for housing.  A lot more time than I thought I'd be.  It's not that I'm picky, it's that I'm limited by the amount of information available to me.  Here in NOVA, if I needed to find a place to live, I'd hit craigslist, rent.com, something along those lines.  Easy peasy.  The town where I'm headed, however, is not represented on any online search I tried.  My only relative successes were in vacation homes, since the town isn't far from Snowshoe.  Finally, finally, this afternoon I decided I'd try to find an online presence for the local paper.  The town paper doesn't have a site, but the county paper does.  Success!  And in the small "for rent" section, I found this gem:
The rent is ridiculously low, so low I could actually get it on my own if I didn't have things like eating or filling my gas tank to consider.  Fortunately, I'm in contact with some other local VISTAs and I have begun my campaign for this house.
The inside isn't fantastic--it is a perennial rental--but it's got some good bones.  I never really understood that phrase, actually, until I spotted that gorgeous door and hideous paneling.  I could forgive many things for that door.
There's a lot about this house that speaks to me (it's got a great yard, too).  It's certainly a better deal for the money than an apartment, but it's not up to me, not entirely.  Cross your fingers for me, would ya?

No comments: