Monday, March 1, 2010

big news


News!  When I left my graduate program back in September, I knew I needed time to think, to try to figure out what I wanted out of life.  As it turns out, no amount of relaxing dog walks would bring me the answer.  After making the decision not to return to school this semester, I knew I needed to figure something out.  I asked for advice from several folks, and even traveled to Memphis to try a possibility on for size.  What I ended up settling on was something that caught a few people by surprise, including, to a certain extent, me.

This coming May, I will be moving to West Virginia for a year as a member of VISTA, a branch of AmeriCorps.

Y'all, I am really, really excited about this.  I wanted to go somewhere entirely new, and that's what I'm doing!  My assignment while I'm there is actually something decorative arts-related, and I'm so thrilled that I'll be a part of it.  Between now and my orientation in May, I'll be looking for a place to live, and hopefully some people to live with.  I'm hoping to get a house with some other VISTAs, but we'll see.  You'll be hearing a lot more about VISTA, West Virginia, and the place where I'll be working in the coming months, as I get ready to take this new turn in my life.

photo by KatrencikPhotoArchives

4 comments:

Breenuh said...

Wow, that's a big decision! Congratulations, that's going to be an amazing experience!

Marley said...

Oh my gosh, this IS big news! When did you decide this? Eeek, crazy and exciting! Going to miss you though

Kelly Anne said...

I applied a couple weeks ago and heard for sure last week. I'll actually be pretty close to Snowshoe! I'll tell you more Saturday, though.

Kelly Anne said...

Breenuh- I hope so! I'm sure looking forward to it.