Wednesday, February 24, 2010

rewriting history

All art history undergrads have to take a survey of Western art (at the two schools I attended, anyway), but because of my transferring and switching majors twice, I never actually took one.  My transcript gives me the credits for one of the courses I took at my first school--it was actually American Art through 1600.  Yeah.  Never really figured that one out.

So I actually started my art history education pretty squarely in the Renaissance.  I took later courses in ancient Greek, Roman, and Chinese art, but I never really studied cave paintings and other stone age relics.  Maybe that's why this story gets me really excited.  Of course, it might just be because "Many people think that it changes everythingIt overturns the whole apple cart. All our theories were wrong."

Yeah.  It's big.

No comments: