Tuesday, December 15, 2009

the story of santa's beer

I find that Christmas is the best time to reminisce.  It's so full of traditions that there's always something to look back on.  So, indulge me, will you, as I stroll a bit down memory lane.

I have to say that my absolute favourite thing to look back on are the years we still left cookies out for Santa.  In the beginning, we left him cookies and milk, as most kids do.  However, after a few years of disappointment upon discovering that Santa had completely ignored the milk, my dad suggested an alternative.  All the other kids leave Santa milk, he explained, but you know what Santa really wants on his busiest night of the year?  A nice, cold beer.  And it made a strange sort of sense.  My dad loved beer, so why wouldn't Santa?  Plus, if we were the only ones leaving it for him, he'd probably like our house more than the others, which couldn't be a bad thing, either.

And so it came to pass that every Christmas Eve, the Williams children carefully placed out where he was sure to see them a plate of homemade cookies and a nice, cold beer.  And you know what?  Santa didn't always eat the cookies, but damn if he didn't down that beer every year. 

If you want to join in, please do!  You can leave a favourite Christmas/holiday memory here in the comments, or send me a link if you blog about one.  Plus, Abby created this great Flickr group for looking back on holidays past.

No comments: