Monday, September 21, 2009

have degree

off ruby beach

I had "the talk" with my mother today.  Yes, the "when are you moving out of my house" talk, cleverly disguised as the "have you thought about what you want to do when you get this degree" talk.  I've been thinking ever since.  My mother, bless her, was full of ideas.  "Be a photographer!"  "What about historic preservation?"  "Can you be a professional blogger?" (As to the last, I'm afraid that my first ever check from BlogHer may be giving her delusions of grandeur about my little corner of the internet here.)

When I started this blog in March 2008, the only thing I was certain of was the name.  "Have Degree, Will Travel" fit, because my degree was the only real thing I was sure of, that I could point to and say that I had accomplished.  Because the truth is, I'm a bit flighty.  I start something, then never finish it.  I fall in love with something and say I'll happily do it for the rest of my life, then fall in love with something new.

Over the past year and change, I've had periods when I knew exactly what this blog would be.  First, an art blog.  Then, a design blog.  Maybe those terms mean nothing to you, but believe me when I tell you I had very specific ideas about what they meant.  However, this blog has become both more than them, and less.  And tonight I realized that that is completely okay.  Because at its heart, this is my blog.  So you may notice some changes in what I talk about on here, or you may not.  Regardless, there has been a definite change to the way I'm thinking about it, my cozy corner here.

Was this all useful information?  Eh, probably not.  I just really needed to say it.

(the photo is of ruby beach.  it's not relevant, but it does make me happy)

No comments: