Tuesday, July 14, 2009

bibliophile

When I was trying to figure out what to do after college, I thought very seriously about getting a Masters in Library Science (although I instinctively twitched considerably at the thought of getting a degree in anything "science"). I actually started out as an English major in undergrad, so that's not too surprising. And, although I am now submerging myself in all things visual, I do still harbor a great love of the written word. Hence, working at a bookshop and interning at a museum is basically the best of both worlds for me. True to form, I have been reading up a storm, people. Here's a small sampling of the fantastic books I've devoured so far this summer:Graceling, by Kristin Cashore. This is a young adult fantasy, a genre which is a major weakness for me. I picked this up on a whim, and man, I do not regret it. It's a fantastic look at how our lives are affected by the things we do best with a main character who is wonderfully refreshing in her originality. The relationship between Katsa, the heroine, and Po, her traveling companion, features a subtle and effective twist on traditional gender roles. An extremely strong debut book. Can you tell this is the one I just finished?Fairest, by Gail Carson Levine. If you've never read anything by Gail Carson Levine, this is a great one to begin with. It takes place in the same universe as Ella Enchanted, but stands on its own. It's a take on the Snow White story, and is an expert examination of what it means to be beautiful, inside and out.
The Princess and the Bear, by Mette Ivie Harrison. I read The Princess and the Hound last summer, a first book for Harrison, and loved it. That her second book was as strong and (in my opinion) even more enjoyable than the first speaks volumes on what we can expect from her in the future. Sorry for the lack of information, it's a bit more difficult to explain. Fantastic, though!

And that's that for now. I've also read a couple of great non-fiction books, as well as Nora Roberts' newest, Black Hills. As much as I love grad school, it will be very sad to no longer have the time to devote to reading for fun once classes start again.

No comments: