Wednesday, February 25, 2009

blacker house lamp

Internet, please meet your Piece of the Week. It is a lamp from the Blacker House in Pasadena, CA designed by Charles and Henry Greene. I was determined to feature a Greene & Greene piece this week because I spent last Friday and Monday aiding in the installation of the Greene & Greene show at the Renwick Gallery. It's full of fantastic objects, and I thought long and hard before choosing one. Eventually, I went with this lamp. I'm not normally someone who goes gaga over lamps, and I'm sorry that the above photo isn't better quality, because that lamp is gorgeous. I love the use of wood in the shade and the emphasis on the grain in its construction. I should note that although the lamp was designed by Greene and Greene, it was made by Peter and John Hall, their longtime collaborators. If you live anywhere near D.C., I highly recommend checking out the show after it opens on March 13th.

For a glimpse of some of the show's objects and content (or if you're too far from DC to see it in person), check out the exhibition overview on The Gamble House website.

No comments: